Actress Danielle Brooks (‘Orange is the New Black’) and Clinton Kelly made a vegan Mac and Cheese on The Chew last Tuesday. While doing that, she talked about Season 6 and said the show has been lots of fun! She went on to say that she had a lot of dramatic scenes last season but this time around she gets into trouble but we have to wait and see! I have never had vegan Mac and Cheese, I wonder how that taste hmm? I just don’t know but I did like her African print dress that she wore on the show but no details yet, darn it! More pics, the recipe for Vegan Mac N Cheese and video inside…
Vegan Mac n Cheese Recipe:
- For the Vegan Cheese Sauce: In a small bowl, add cashews and add warm water to bowl so that the cashews are completely submerged. Soak for 1-4 hours.
- Remove cashews from bowl, rinse with water and drain.
- In the carafe of a blender, add cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, turmeric, paprika and cayenne. Blend on high until mixture becomes creamy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- For Panko Topping: In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and bread crumbs and stir to combine. Stirring constantly, continue to cook bread crumbs until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl.
- For the Macaroni: Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add macaroni noodles to water and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Remove pot from heat, drain noodles and return to pot. Add cheese sauce to noodles and stir until fully combined. Cook until noodles and sauce are warmed through, about 3 minutes. Garnish with Panko topping, and serve.
- Tip: Have left over vegan cheese sauce? Stir in some salsa for a spicy queso dip!
(Pics by ABC/Lorenzo Bevilaqua)